NARAYANA K.V., b. 1948
Narayana K.V., (nArAyaNa K.V.) (ನಾರಾಯಣ ಕೆ.ವಿ.) is one of the foremost literary critics and linguists of his generation. He has forged new ways of looking at culture and society in general and literature in particular over the past few decades. His ideas of creating tools of literary analysis from within the text and his consistent refusal to use critical tools manufactured in the west have made his position unique. He has questioned the traditional method of depending on Sanskrit for linguistic resources. (Vocabulary)
Narayana was born in kamplApura, a small
village in piriyATTaNa talluk of
Literary theory, literary criticism, linguistics, the Kannada language in its historical and
contemporary setup and the Kannada theatre have constituted the major
academic interests of Narayana. He has made seminal comments on various stages
of Kannada language and literature and has toiled to create relevant links between
the past and the present in the context of technological and societal
developments. His ideas on
1. ‘DhvanyAlOka- ondu adhyayana’, Kannada Sahitya Parishat, Bangalore.
3. ‘bEru kAnDa ciguru’, Bangalore.
4. ‘BASeya suttamutta’, Christ College Kannada Sangha, Bangalore.
5. ‘dviBASikate’, 1998, Kannada University, Hampi.
‘matte BASeya suttamutta’,
7. ‘huttava baDidare’, (Play), Samudaya, Bangalore.
8. ‘innomme BASeya suttamutta’
9. ‘Dashavarshika Sahitya Vimarshe’, (Edited, with others), Karnataka Sahitya Academy, Bangalore.
10. KannaDa vishvavidyAlaya VishvakOsha-1:BASe, Kannada University, Hampi, 2007.
11. ‘Krishi Padakosha’ (Edited), Kannada Vishvavidyalaya, Hampi.
12. ‘Kannada Shaili Kaipidi’, (With others), Kannada University, Hampi.
13. ‘Kannada-Ardha Shatamana’, 2007, Kannada Vishvavidyalaya, Hampi.
K.V.Narayana has won many awards and accolades. Sahitya Academy Award for life time achivement, Dr G.S.S. Award for literary criticism, Dr L. Basavaraju award, Siddayya Puranika award and Vi.Chi. Prashasti are some of them.