‘VYVAHARA GANITA’ – RAJADITYA
- Name of the Work:: ‘Vyavahara Ganita’ (vyavahAra gaNita) (ವ್ಯವಹಾರ
- Name of the author: Rajaditya (rAjAditya) (ರಾಜಾದಿತ್ಯ)
- Time: 12th and 13th century (Approximately)
- Subject Matter: Business Mathematics
- Introduction: Rajaditya the author of Vyavahara Ganita is one of the early
mathematicians of Karnataka. ‘pUvinbAge’ a town in konDi manDala was his
native place. He was called alternatively as Rajavarma and Bachiraja and
he had titles such as ‘gaNita virinchi’ and ‘gaNita viLAsa’. He
was a courtier in the royal court of BallALa-2(1173-1220) of the Hoysala
dynasty. Other than ‘Vyvahara Ganita’, he has composed treatises on
mathematics such as ‘KshEtra gaNita’, ‘lIlAvati’, ‘vyavahAra ratna’,
‘citra hasuge’ and ‘jainagaNitasutra TIkOdAharaNa’. None of the above
works are printed with exception of ‘Vyavahara Ganita’. Unfortunately
other manuscripts are corrupt and incomplete.
‘Vyavahara Ganita’ is written in
a combination of prose and poetry. The definitions and theorems are given in
poetry and the commentaries and illustrations are presented in prose. It contains eight chapters called
‘adhikAra’s. The chapters deal with technical matters such as ‘sahaja
trayarAshi’, ‘vyasta traya rAshi’, ‘sahaja pancha rAshi’, ‘vyasta pancha
rAshi’, ‘sahaja sapta rAshi’, ‘vyasta saptha rAshi’, ‘sahaja navarAshi’,
vyastha nava rAshi’, ‘padapina sUtra’, ‘baNNAntarada sUtra’, ‘hodeyambina
sUtra’, ‘vidhure’, ‘tUbina sUtra’, ‘harivariya sUtra’, ‘Chakra baDDi’ etc.
Technical matters are presented in this work in a transparent and attarctive
manner. The author has shown great skill in reducing mathematical notions in to
easy prose. Apparently ‘Vyavahara Ganita’ was a popular text amomg students and
scholars. It has drawn some material from the works of Bhaskaracharya.
- Publication History: 1956, Ed. by M. Mariyappa Bhatta, Madras University, Madras.
- Further Readings and Links:
Home / Knowledge Bases